Too much $$ (Was Re: Off List Re: [lbo-talk] Hey Brad)

Steven McGraw stmcgraw at vt.edu
Sat Apr 26 10:41:18 PDT 2003

>That's average.

Yoshie tried to argue the poverty of academics by appealing to an average salary at her school. I responded to the information that Yoshie provided.

If she can show me a breakdown by department within Ohio State or a comparable university, or a distribution of income by percentiles, or a bloody histogram of faculty salaries across departments, or anything more precise than an arithemtic mean, I'd love to see it.

I wasn't able to find anything right off, other than this article about english prof salaries at UW (and i know it's not comparable to ohio state etc)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/70826_english17.shtml

>I bet the humanities avg is a LOT lower.

As well it should be. I've seen how hard the engineering students work. Getting 2 humanities degrees has, on the other hand, felt like a mild supplement to my leisure activities, ie reading and writing about things that interest me. Why should I expect to make a lot of money doing what I love?

>The med, eng'g and law schools are a lot higher.
>jks

as much as i enjoy literary theory, nobody has ever died for want of a deconstruction