Too much $$ (Was Re: Off List Re: [lbo-talk] Hey Brad)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Apr 26 11:08:55 PDT 2003

At 1:41 PM -0400 4/26/03, Steven McGraw wrote:
>Yoshie tried to argue the poverty of academics

Professors make much less than corporate lawyers at firms like Justin's do, and that's a fact. As far as money is concerned, Justin is better off not having gotten tenure at the OSU. For all we know, he may have more freedom of speech being a corporate lawyer than being a philosophy professor who has to worry about what his colleagues, students, and their parents might think about his latest remarks on Marx.

At 1:41 PM -0400 4/26/03, Steven McGraw wrote:
>>I bet the humanities avg is a LOT lower.
>
>As well it should be. I've seen how hard the engineering students
>work. Getting 2 humanities degrees has, on the other hand, felt like
>a mild supplement to my leisure activities, ie reading and writing
>about things that interest me. Why should I expect to make a lot of
>money doing what I love?

Presumably, engineering students love what they are doing, at least as much as students in English or entomology or whatever do.

At 1:41 PM -0400 4/26/03, Steven McGraw wrote:
>as much as i enjoy literary theory, nobody has ever died for want of
>a deconstruction

No one has died because of deconstruction either. That's more than what engineers at military contractors, for instance, can claim. ;-> -- Yoshie