[lbo-talk] The Cuba Petition

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Apr 26 13:41:38 PDT 2003

Many people "blew their cool" on this general topic, on this and other lists. I can't guess on the motives of particular persons who signed it after it began to circulate, but whoever dreamt up the idea is either not very bright or had at least as part of his/her motive precisely the hope of stirring up a tempest (in a teapot or in a larger context. Perhaps (probably) maillists give a distorted reflection of "leftist" circles in general. But judging from the results on maillists, the petition was a sectarian disruption of embryonic left unity around opposition to u.s. imperialism.

Too damn many "tion's" and syllables in that, but what the hell.

Carrol