[lbo-talk] secret deal?

J Cullen jcullen at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 26 13:56:50 PDT 2003

For what it's worth, the London Daily Mirror reported the same thing April 16:

US 'PAID OFF ARMY LEADERS'

By Chris Hughes

MANY of Saddam's top military henchmen were secretly paid off and air-lifted to safe havens by US special forces as Baghdad fell, it was claimed last night.

The double-dealing Republican Guard leader Maher Sufyan ordered his division to lay down their arms after the US agreed to take him by Apache helicopter to a secret location

Iraqi troops around Baghdad had slipped away before the US advance, dumping huge caches of arms in the streets behind them.

Details of the CIA's dealings were kept confidential as the Iraqi capital fell for fear of reprisals against Saddam loyalists as other negotiations took place.

A military source at US Central Command in Qatar said yesterday: "The fact that the coalition was able to make these deals meant we took Baghdad with surprising ease."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12853045&method=full&siteid=50143

Le Monde and Al Jazeera carried similar reports, and noted that Maher Sufyan was not one of those pictured on the DoD playing cards, according to http://la.indymedia.org/print.php?id=52299.

I guess none of "our" embedded reporters at the Pentagon thought to ask.