[lbo-talk] Re: Too much $$

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Sun Apr 27 16:52:49 PDT 2003

At 11:14 AM 04/26/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>As well it should be. I've seen how hard the engineering students work.
>Getting 2 humanities degrees has, on the other hand, felt like a mild
>supplement to my leisure activities, ie reading and writing about things
>that interest me. Why should I expect to make a lot of money doing what I
>love?

Presumably those getting engineering degrees love that work too. The point is that a teacher or a professor should be making a living wage. Many don't. Especially those in expensive urban centers: NYC, bay area, Boston, etc. For example, I could not support my family on a teacher's wage. In a few years, my son will be out of college. At that time, when all I have to worry about is one kid, I may be able to afford teaching.

Joanna