[lbo-talk] Eduardo Machado -- Havana Is Waiting

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Apr 27 20:53:31 PDT 2003

***** NYT April 27, 2003 Questions for Eduardo Machado, Cuban-born playwright Man From Havana Interview by DEBORAH SOLOMON

..._The dissidents were accused of collaborating with U.S. diplomats in Havana._

Yes, American diplomats went too far. They traveled all over the Cuban countryside and met with dissidents, which is strange, because when you have an embargo with a country, you keep to yourself. When Cuban politicians come to the United Nations, they are not allowed to travel beyond a 25-mile radius from New York.

_You wonder whether Bush is trying to provoke Castro_.

Last year, someone in the Bush administration accused Cuban scientists of developing chemical weapons. And Bush called Cuba one of the terrorist nations, which of course severely damaged relations between Cuba and the United States.

_Are they making weapons?_

I doubt it. They're too poor. They practice organic farming because they can't have chemicals for their crops because of the embargo. If they can't buy fertilizer, how can they be making chemical weapons?...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/27/magazine/27QUESTIONS.html> *****

***** The Return to Cuba Helps Eduardo Machado Find Home and Inspiration By Kristin Sterling

"Did they throw me out, or did I walk away from my country?" This question plagues many Cuban exiles and resonates throughout Eduardo Machado's "Havana is Waiting," which opened on Oct. 24 at the Cherry Lane Theatre, 38 Commerce Street.

The play is a semi-autobiographical drama inspired by Machado's own emotion-filled return to Cuba in 1999. At the age of nine, Machado's parents put him and his younger brother on a "Peter Pan" flight to the U.S., a decision that Machado, like many others, has questioned and resented all of his life. Over 13,000 Cuban children made similar flights during the early 1960s, as their parents feared Communist indoctrination and the revolutionary government under Fidel Castro.

Machado describes his return to Cuba as "the most important experience of my adult life; that trip opened up a whole world of things that I yearn for."

Machado reveals much of himself in this very personal, thoughtful and political work. He uses both humor and drama to address the issues that arise. The play explores the need in all of us to "find home" and understand roots and childhood in order to define oneself. "I felt sometimes at home and sometimes a total alien," Machado told The New York Times, referring to his time in Cuba. "I realized that I really was American and I couldn't survive there."

The story opens in New York with a harried Federico (Bruce MacVittie) reconsidering his decision to return to his native Cuba after 38 years of exile since his parents sent him to the United States. At the encouragement of his friend, Fred (Ed Vassallo), the two begin the journey to Havana and arrive at the same time the newest "lost boy," Elian Gonzalez, is found on the shores of Miami, arousing feelings of nostalgia, loss of home, family and identity.

Their taxi driver/guide (Felix Solis) provides political and historic context as he helps the pair find Federico's childhood home. He is quick to remind Federico and Fred that Cuba has entered the "family reconciliation period" and to solicit their support in ending the embargo against Cuba. Solis injects humor into the performance with his spunky delivery and animated facial expressions.

References to Peter Pan, Wendy and "never-never land" are woven throughout the play, as is a rapid shift in sentiment from longing to doubt to fear to blame. This shift is part of Machado's signature comic style and is well depicted by MacVittie, as the Valium-popping Federico. All three give passionate performances as they each make the journey towards their own self-discovery....

Machado...says "the title of my new play ["Havana is Waiting"] refers to many things. First, Havana is waiting for a 40-year old embargo to end. Havana means waiting, for the people who live there. Waiting interminably in lines for anything from a bus to ice cream, but more importantly Havana, or as they say in Cuba, La Habana, was waiting for me to return."

Eduardo Machado is the author of more than 27 plays as well as the writer, director, actor and filmmaker of several movies, and an associate professor in Columbia University's Theatre Arts Division. His works include: "The Floating Island Plays" (produced in L.A.), "Cuba and the Night," "Stevie Wants to Play the Blues," "Rosario and the Gypsies," "Across a Crowded Room," and "Don Juan in New York City." His films include "Exiles in New York," "China Rios" and "Her Name was Lupe" (HBO), "Crossing the Border" and "Home Free" (CBS). He is currently featured in the film "Pollock."

Published: Oct 29, 2001 Last modified: Sep 18, 2002

<http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/01/10/eduardoMachado.html> ***** -- Yoshie