Too much $$ (Was Re: Off List Re: [lbo-talk] Hey Brad)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 28 00:52:26 PDT 2003

Yoshie:

>I thought that, whatever Putin might or might not be, he would at least be
>ready, willing, and able to collect taxes, though at lower rates. Why is
>the state still broke? Are the rates too low? Too much avoidance and
>evasion?

-- Me: Whoo! You're really exaggerating the power of the president! The problem is that whatever legislation Putin shoves through the Duma exists on paper only in the absence of a functioning legal system.

Tax revenues are up a lot, and the government has increased wages for public-sector employees and pensions (they're still paltry, though, which is why there are so many elderly beggars). Tax evasion in Russia is still massive however; the taxes the gov. does get come almost all from the big natural-resources exporters (Gazprom is the big one; I think Gazprom contributes something like 25% of the federal budget). The shadow economy (estimated at 50% of Russian GDP) contributes nada to the federal budget.

To the article. I think it's pretty good, but a lot of it is just Menshikov doing his thing. Keep in mind I'm not an economist:

>***** #12 - JRL 6594
>MOSCOW TRIBUNE
>RUSSIAN ECONOMY AT YEAR END
>Results and outlook
>By Stanislav Menshikov

>...Instead of pump-priming the government chose tax incentives. The two
>large reforms in this area were setting a flat tax rate on personal incomes
>and lowering the tax rate on profits. The first measure helped bring part
>of hidden incomes "out of the shadow" and helped raise tax collection but
>failed to increase total spending for personal consumption.

I'm not sure what Menshikov means by personal consumption here. I was under the impression that spending on consumer goods was at a record high.

The second measure led companies to cut
>capital investment since they could no longer deduct investment
>expenditures from profits for tax purposes. Tax collection on this item
>fell by 20 percent in 2002 because companies chose to reduce reported
>profits. The net effect on economic growth was clearly negative.
>
>New suggested reforms such as reducing the Unified Social Tax (UST) from
>37.5 to 32 percent and the Value-Added Tax (VAT) from 20 to 16 percent are
>being postponed until 2004 or 2005 for fear that they would further
>destabilise the budget.
>
>As a result, growth rates in capital investment have fallen from 17 percent
>in 2000 to 7 percent in 2001 and only 2.5 percent in 2002. They are now
>growing substantially slower than GDP. This is undermining further economic
>growth because productive capacity is stagnant, decaying and outdated. It
>is also reducing growth in aggregate demand and undermining competitive
>power of domestic industries. Weak investment is the principal Achilles'
>heel of the Russian economy....
--- Yes. The Russian economy has been characetrized as a "Soviet sandwich." This means that a cash-flush natural-resources extraction sector and a vibrant small-business sector (i.e. shadow economy) are sandwiched around subsidized Soviet-era industries that employ the bulk of the work force, are heavily subsidized and noncompetitive. Their infrastructure is degrading rapidly (except for armaments production, which has a lotof money and is top-notch). The trick is to get the oil and gas co's to invest in that sector, and to get small and mid-sized business out of the shadow. Both are occuring to a small extent, but much less than what is probably.

Q1 GDP growth in Russia was 6.5%, by the way, much better than what Menshikov or even the government predicted.