[lbo-talk] Lukashenko & Belarus

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 28 03:09:29 PDT 2003

>---
>No kidding. Lukashenko is well-liked in Belarus. Belarussians live quietly
>and comfortably. Lukashenko-bashing at a time when the West is courting the
>leaders of the Stans is inane. Anyway, if Belarussians like Lukashenko,
>obviously he should be president, regardless of what some bonehead in the
>West thinks.
--- If I may continue my rant, there should be some kind of unwritten law that, before foreigners start lecturing people on how they should act, they should ACTUALLY HAVE SOME ACQUAINTANCE WITH THE AREA IN QUESTION. I am sick of people writing about Belarus and Chechnys, for example, without ever having met a real-live Belarusian or Chechen. Come to think of it, I am probably the only person on this list who has ever met a Chechen, or an Uzbek for that matter.

Matthew Evangelista managed to pull off writing a monologue on Chechnya without ever leaving Moscow. In fact, he allegedly declined an invitation to go! Much easier writing about a hot spot from the comfort of the Radisson-Slavjanskaya than actually going there and possibly getting your head lopped off by a mujaheed.

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail