[lbo-talk] Lukashenko & Belarus

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 28 21:30:54 PDT 2003

Connected to the European Foundation, whatever that is.

Is Russia blackmailing the West ? by John Laughland The Russian debt is a deliberate strategy to obtain both subsidies from, and a political leverage over, Western Europe. <URL: http://www.diploweb.com/english/russia/laughland1.htm >

From our Chris Brooke's website, Voice of the Turtle, On John Laughland's The Tainted Source: A Review and a Polemic' An article for The Voice of the Turtle by , August 1998. <URL: http://www.voiceoftheturtle.org/show_article.php?aid=134 > As loyal Turtle readers are well aware, there is something peculiarly satisfying about exposing the extent to which a political opponent's ideas have been foreshadowed in Nazi theory and practice. To tar another with the stain of fascism is both a low political tactic and also wide open to considerable abuse; yet it is also a temptation that can be quite hard to resist. A few years ago, maverick historian Anna Bramwell showed in a pair of books how strong the continuities were between the German Green Party and the policies of Nazi Minister of Agriculture Walther Darré. Now John Laughland has used the same strategy with respect to the contemporary debate on European union, as he simultaneously anatomises and anathematises the ideological pedigree of the EU's plans for the political and economic unification of the entire continent. <SNIP>

Has written for Pat Buchanan's, "The American Conservative." <URL: http://www.bhhrg.org/pressDetails.asp?ArticleID=8 >

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:51:49 -0400 (EDT), Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, apropos Lukashenko bashing,
>
>> "The Prague racket"
>>
>> John Laughland
>> Friday November 22, 2002
>> The Guardian
>
> was quoted defending Luk as one of the few non-sellouts in Eastern Europe
> who is reviled because of it.
>
> Does anyone know anything about John Laughland? He often writes
> interesting articles in the Guardian attacking the neoliberal consensus
> on
> things like the ICC and Kosovo. But the Amazon summaries of his 2000
> book
> _The Tainted Source_ makes it look as if he's arguing that the Nazis were
> the original globalists, and that therefore all desires to transcend the
> nation state should be presumed to be tainted with fascism. I haven't
> ever heard of such a point of view before, especially not from someone
> who
> is articulate and publishes in respectable venues. Is he some kind of
> extreme save-the-pounder? Are there more like him out there?
>
> Michael (Pollak)
-- Michael Pugliese