[lbo-talk] Awww...soo sad....

npchilds at connect.ab.ca npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Tue Apr 29 08:22:49 PDT 2003

I'd suggest that with the 'Enemies List', Plumbers, using the IRS to harass opponents and Chuck Colson talking about firebombing the Brookings Institute the US was a lot closer to Nazism that many would believe.

The problems seemed to be in competence and execution (the plumbers were a bunch of bumblers) rather than in concept. I have no doubt that had Nixon, Kissinger, John Mitchell and the rest of the boys been a little better organized the history of the last 33 years would have been quite different. It might not have been black shirts and Kristallnacht but the right of the state to use its power to protect the party in power by marginalizing, intimidating and killing opponents was accepted and exercised in the Nixon White House.

PC