[lbo-talk] cuba petition

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 08:27:30 PDT 2003

Well, I'm just a liberal and not a real leftist, so I suppose I don't count even if I decided not to sign either petition, but I do rely on Amnesty, whose work (unlike Human Rights Watch) is pretty reliable. I don't really care if Cubans are engaged in "counterrevolutionary activity" in collaboration with the CIA, as long as their activities are peaceful propaganda, they shouldn't be punished for their views. (Likewise with CPUSAers who took money from Moscow, met with Soviet agents, etc.) And it certainly is our business -- would you say, if the Cubans were boiling dissidents in acid, would you say, not my concern? Long prison sentences for nonviolent propaganda -- in fact, short prison sentences -- in fact, fines or termination from jobs -- is wrong. I am writing Amnesty Int'l letters to the Cuban govt on behalf of those sentences. I encourage you all to do likewise. jks

http://home.igc.org/~jlandy/cpd/antiwar/cuba_stmt.html