[lbo-talk] AARP on security after 50

westrich at miser.umass.edu westrich at miser.umass.edu
Tue Apr 29 13:29:14 PDT 2003

The Wall St. Journal and the AP blurbed this AARP report on economic and health security after 50. I thought I would include a link to the actual report. <http://research.aarp.org/general/beyond_50.html>

One-third of disabled people over 50 have postponed health care because of cost. This is an increase over previous surveys. Also, as this is before a lot more state health spending cuts and private health insurance out-of-pocket expense increases this will undoubtedly be going up in further in the near future. Not good news--while older people may not get the health care they need and actually suffer and die because of it--they can rest easy that at least our government is saving us from potential and non-existent threats.

Anyway, a lot more info on economic and health security in nice glossy reports from the AARP on the site.

Jim

No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be; Am an attendant lord, one that will do To swell a progress, start a scene or two, Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool, Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool.

I grow old

I grow old

I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

T. S. Elliot "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"