[lbo-talk] Re:Cuba petition

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Apr 29 15:06:11 PDT 2003

Doug wrote:
> So you feel free to sign a petition that could, however modestly,
> affect the turn of events, but without any idea of what Cuba should
> do instead?

As I've said before, I think the Cuban government could institute Brad's list of reforms (enumerated in a message sent Wednesday, April 23--I'll repost it again if you don't remember) without any foreseeable harmful consequences. Perhaps the Cuban government needs to keep American cash out of its political process, but I think other limits on political speech aren't acceptable (and don't bother trying to find counterexamples to what's intended to be nothing more than a highly reliable rule of thumb).

-- Luke