Too much $$ (Was Re: Off List Re: [lbo-talk] Hey Brad)

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Tue Apr 29 16:54:18 PDT 2003

Steven McGraw wrote:

> andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> >
> > I bet the humanities avg is a LOT lower.
>
> As well it should be. I've seen how hard the engineering students work.

Well, I thought we were talking about how hard the professors work. Not to discredit engineering profs but it seems to me that philosophy or the humanities would be much harder to teach than something as straight-forward as engineering, so if pay were apportioned by difficulty they'd get paid more. But it's not. An engineering professor has an advanced degree in engineering, so he can easily get a good-paying job. For there to be any engineering professors at all colleges have to outbid businesses. There are far fewer good-paying non-academic jobs for humanities graduates and basically none at all for

philosophy majors.

On the other hand I know plenty of engineers for whom it's absolutely nothing more than a job; if they won the lottery they'd never do any more engineering ever. Whereas I'd guess most philosophy or humanities majors, if they won the lottery, it would free up more of their time from tedious moneymaking so they could philosophize more or read more poems or whatever, right?

Yours WD "HS graduate" K - WKiernan at concentric.net