[lbo-talk] Re: Lukashenko

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Wed Apr 30 11:46:40 PDT 2003

At 09:55 AM 04/30/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Did Joanna, curl her lips, while an academic while in a faculty meeting
>or a conference of the MLA or ASA or whatevah, if someone said, "As Marx
>wrote in the Grundrisse, " or, "As De Beauvoir wrote in, "the Second
>Sex..."

Did I? Absolutely. It doesn't matter what any one else says: if communication cannot occur on the basis of a shared reality, a shared system of values, shared concerns, mutual regard, reciprocity, and so on, what is it going to help to quote Marx or De Beauvoir or anyone else for that matter. You might have to spend some time and energy establishing that shared ground, but that's why we have intelligence and a conscious sensibility.

One of the reasons I left academia was because no one seemed to be able to use their own heads, life, or experience to carry on a conversation.

Joanna