[lbo-talk] Re: lbo-talk] Awww...soo sad....

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Apr 30 13:23:54 PDT 2003

BrownBingb at aol.com wrote:

> So it is with the history of fascism. We look to general patterns in it
> that
> may give insight into fighting "open terrorist dictatorship by the most
> reactionary sectors of capital" should it develop in the present or near
> future.

Well, perhaps. But:

a) Establishing the "laws of history," even with the renowned intellectual tools of Marxism, is a lot harder than many people suspect. Every time someone comes up with such a law, someone else seems to refute it.

b) Where is the evidence that Weimar/Nazi Germany is about to replicate itself now in this country? If it were, we might presumably learn from that experience what to do about it, but what if the factors defining the situation we are in now bear no particular relationship, even as a "general pattern," to Germany in that period?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ "I believe in seeing two sides to an issue so as I can show the other guy where he is wrong." -- Archie Bunker