[lbo-talk] Re: That shallow American religious pietyy

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Fri Aug 1 09:58:07 PDT 2003

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 at 12:34pm Kendall Clark wrote:

> Alas, I can't justify this by citing any formal study, but the AG (the group
> Chuck0's roomie encountered) is almost entirely suburban Southern and
> Western. Some presence in the Northeast, but very little. Almost *no* real
> urban presence anywhere in the country.

Don't forget, this is the sect that spawned Jimmy Swaggert. Swagert lost a power struggle for leadership in a large AG church in New Orleans and (IIRC) managed to ruin his foe by accusing him of sexual misconduct but he lost the battle anyway and went off to Baton Rouge to start his own gig. (I don't remember all the sordid details anymore.)

There turns out to be some irony in this episode because the hooker hotel where he was caught having sex is just down the road (Airline Hwy) from the church he lost the struggle for.

-- no Onan

"superior sound quality"