[lbo-talk] Wi-Fi as "Dog Turd" Capitalism

Matt lbo at beyondzero.net
Fri Aug 1 11:31:47 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:13:23AM -0700, martin schiller wrote:

> How can they distinguish an 'interconnection'? I thought that the access
> point acted as a dhcp server and assigned connections as a 'private'
> subnet.

See my other post with a link to a group actually doing this. Basically, the alternative network provides the lower layer infrastructure (Wireless Ethernet, or 802.11b (0r 802.11.a)) and that is about it. Network Layer (Layer 3 in the OSI Network Model) connectivity - an IP address - and all the layers up (application layers, e.g. web, ftp, mail) are not provided *by* the infrastructure, but the infrastructure supports it. If you want to connect an Internet access point to the alternative network and provide addresses via DHCP and some Internet connectivity, the infrastructure is there to support it. Or if you want to build a game network. Or a VPN with a friend on the other side of town. And so on.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

My top-level question about Sept. 11 is, do we really want to live in a world in which U.S. intelligence can detect every half-million-dollar, 20-person, two-year activity?

-Whitfield Diffie