[lbo-talk] Re: Hitch on Hope

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 3 08:05:04 PDT 2003

I think this whole thread is stupid. There are assholes in all generations. Today's seems to think that Adam Sandler is funny. At least Bob Hope had some wit, even if he was a lecherous sexist pig. I don't think my parents' generation -- my Dad was 4-F'ed out of the Navy in early 42, my father in law was a combat Marine in the Pacific -- was any more authoritarian or jerky on average than most. More sexist than ours, sure, at least in terms of overt assumptions. (I was told growing up that I do things not permitted my younger sisters because "he's a boy and he's older."). That stopped by the mid-70s when neither mys sister nor my mother --who used to say it -- woiuld put up with that any more. But for the resat, phooey. Oh, one other diff, the Depression geberation was in facta lot more money conscious, that's true. jks