[lbo-talk] NEOCOSERVATISM, WHERE TROTSKY MEETS STALIN AND HITLER

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 08:18:42 PDT 2003

Michael Pugliese posted:

"NEOCOSERVATISM, WHERE TROTSKY MEETS STALIN AND HITLER"

by Srdja Trifkovic found at http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/News/Trifkovic/NewsST072303.html

I have read interesting articles - pro and con - on the question of whether our much discussed neo-cons are inspired by Trotsky, among other thinker/doers.

It is an intriguing subject and not without value but I wonder if, by searching so diligently for the source of say, Wolfowitz and Kristol's ideological POV, we're overlooking the obvious: the neo-con project is not a deviation from the American norm, but the predictable endpoint of long-term trends and well established patterns.

That is, the US' foreign policy has, it seems, always been aggressive and unilateralist - but clothed, especially in the post WW2 period, within an international fabric of agreements. The presence of the USSR made it necessary, I believe, to perform hegemonic activities within a more limited sphere and well away from the view of world opinion.

But the evaporation of the Soviets has expanded the field of battle (with a commensurate growth of ambition) even as the development of a planetary telecommunications net has made it more difficult to hide the results of aggression.

While it's true that certain elements of the Bushevik apparatus apparently have an unusually severe form of mania for authoritarian government, the foreign policy actions are more of the same old story, only now at a much higher volume and for even greater stakes.

And so, regardless of their ideological foundation, virtually any American government conceivable under present circumstances would have - to a greater or lesser extent - pursued a course of 'global leadership' similar to the Bushanista agenda.

Ironically, it may turn out that this push for dominion, begun when the United States appears, from a certain point of view, to be powerful beyond measure puts into motion the process through which that very power ceases to be.

The sort of thing Aeschylus would have written about ages ago.

DRM