[lbo-talk] Re: Dull, dull, dull

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 07:32:15 PDT 2003

The problem of discussing what "is" and "isn't" funny, from a left perspective (to be modified and adjusted based on class position, demographics, post-modern affinities, et. al., etc, on and on), is that h/she must first constitute what the point of humor, primarily that humor which seeks to deflate regnant social and economic philosophies, as well as the present ruling structure, "is." The Dutch sociologist Hannah Gorth argued in her groundbreaking study, "Laughter's Reinforcement of Social Inequities: A Guide to the Guffaws That Imprison Us All" (Fahrenheit Press, 1977), comedy cannot be accurately defined until some form of social re-adjustment or substantial reform takes place. "To laugh or to create laughter," Gorth wrote, "in the present environment is tantamount to performing pantomime in a slaughterhouse. It is an exercise in solipsism, disconnected from the cries in the death chamber, free from the blood on the floor. The truest liberating comedic expression in our day and age is the frown, the inversion of what supposedly defines 'happiness' for we know that said 'happiness' is a mass hallucination.Only by being truly sad, truly grim, can we ever hope to understand what is truly funny."

Gorth committed suicide two years later. In tribute, her funeral was played out in pantomime.

DP