[lbo-talk] Dull, dull, dull

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Aug 5 07:40:31 PDT 2003

> This list is reasonably representative of a wide
> range of leftists. Is
> it humorless?

YES, it is EXTREMELY humorless most of the time.

^^^^

CB: Maybe part of why left discourse is not predominantly funny, and some right discourse might be is that capitalism is more fun for capitalists and their crowd than it is for everybody else, especially those consciously anti-capitalist, i.e. lefts, especially those engaged in anti-capitalist discourse. I mean if we are not specifically talking about capitalism and its latest outrages, lefts can probably have as much fun or more than rights. Talking about capitalism is inherently not fun or funny, unless you like what it is doing. In the main, the war on Iraq nor neo-liberalism are funny to most people, etc. Unemployment and poverty, or the rat race are not a gas. Defending against imperialist war is great tragedy. Left discourse is only dull to avoid it being down right scary and depressing. It is dull to dull the pain. Revolutionism is an agonizing occupation. Still comedy is superior to tragedy, if you can get to it. Yes, "left" has "anti-capitalist" as a core of its definition. Ha, ha, ha !