[lbo-talk] Re: Dull, dull, dull

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 5 08:32:35 PDT 2003

Kelley wrote:

> At 10:53 AM 8/5/03 -0400, Doug Henwood scribbled:
>
> >Kelley wrote:
> >
> >>i find discussions that posit a wanting left against which
> >>individuals define themselves as superior very pedestrian.
> >
> >Unless you're positing yourself as superior by defining yourself
> >against someone else's positing of superiority?
>
> no.

I once tried, though no one responded concretely (or at all if I remember correctly) to distinguish polemics, criticism, & mere whining or growling. The first two have a context and respond to specific people and designated & defined trends (with examples), the last is always an instance of "individuals defin[ing] themselves as superior" to some broadly and vaguely conceived left. Kelley is writing in a specific context in response to specific persons: that is criticism and/or polemics. Doug's witty response is merely bad (dull) literary criticism.

Carrol