[lbo-talk] Humor and cruelty

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Tue Aug 5 09:56:27 PDT 2003

Doug wrote:

> One of the more thrilling celeb experiences of my life was meeting
> former B&B head writer Glenn Eichler, who told me that the demo tape
> that Mike Judge brought to MTV showed the boy heroes smashing a frog
> with a hammer.

The movie he mentions is "Frog Baseball." I saw it on MTV's Liquid Television animation showcase. Joyous, mindless violence.

Once, in response to a particularly dreadful news item posted here, I shot back this of the main miscreant involved: "Wow...Four walls really *ARE* three too many for some people." I was promptly spanked by someone who wrote "Now imagine what someone not in sympathy with our views might think of that?" or something similar. I don't think whoever said that was lacking humor, but that he (she?) thought it was beyond the pale. I wish I could remember what the person did who elicited that comment from me, but I think it was something either truly dreadful or monumentally obtuse. What I wrote was the most stinging expression of scorn I could think of.

Humor often involves cruelty, and perhaps in-group humor more so.

Curtiss