[lbo-talk] not dull: Orlowski on the Extropians

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 13:01:12 PDT 2003

Jonathan Lassen posted:

from which...

The Extropian answer is simple: such dunderheads will be left behind as we all lift off into space, making giddy whooping noises as we ascend.

Well, until last week we could dismiss these techno-utopians as a freakish cult, but now we know two things: they have they ear of the Pentagon, and they have powerful defenders in the shape of the New York Times op-ed page, and West Coast columnists.

*********************

Ladies and gentlemen, this is comedy.

The proper response to these vainglorious jackasses is the application of well targeted smart-assedness and disdain.

Still, a portion of my mind, the bit that's around eleven years old, reserves a tea cup's worth of sympathy for their ideas.

Yes, I had my own 'extropian' period.

At around eleven, I watched a movie called "Colossus, the Forbin Project" about a sentient super-computer built deep beneath the Cheyenne mountains which, along with a Soviet machine named Guardian, takes over the world.

I rooted for the computer throughout. Pitiful humans, what are your petty concerns, your loves and hates, your art and meagre civilizations when compared to the peerless cognition of - pause and hold breath - Colossus-Guardian!

Not coinicentally, eleven was the age I discovered that girls were rather distracting. Like most eleven year-olds, my skills in this area were non-existant. It was comforting, after feeling foolish and awkward in the presence of oh-so-mature, 13 year old Diana G, to dream of downloading my consciousness into a synthetic body.

Ha! That'll show her! I'll be beyond desire!

The closer I came to having a romantic life, the more distant these plasti-metallo daydreams were. Fading away like the view of Earth seen from the rearview screen of a starship hurtling towards the alien unknown. Until finally, poof! No more extropian crap.

My excuse is that I was a child. What can these folks say?

DRM