[lbo-talk] mobile phones and telemarketers [was: backlash?]

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Aug 5 14:35:14 PDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Wojciech Sokolowski wrote:

> That would be very interesting to know. I disconnected my land line
> about six months ago due to high volume of telemarketing calls (caller
> ID did not prevent being disturbed by continuous ringing, including
> attempts to send faxes at 3 AM) and use only a mobile phone. So far I
> have not received a single telemarketing call, but I am also using my
> old disconnected number forinternet orders, credit cards etc. I
> wonder, however, how long this freedom form telemarketers is going to
> last?
>
> Wojtek

Up to this point, I've resisted the urge to get a mobile phone, but W. has a great point here. I didn't realize how insulated mobile phones were from the incessant telemarketing. Is there any good reason to have a land line anymore? The baby bells must love this trend (a number of my relatives have abandoned land lines like W.).

Miles