[lbo-talk] mobile phones and telemarketers [was: backlash?]

Cliff Staples clifford_staples at und.nodak.edu
Tue Aug 5 17:19:49 PDT 2003

At 02:45 PM 8/5/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> > Is there any good
> > reason to have a land line anymore?
>
>All this cellphone euphoria is getting to me. Have you ever used a
>cellphone for an extended period of time? They suck. You drop calls,
>people can't hear you, you can't hear them. They suck. Suck, suck,
>suck. And I say that as someone who has had one since 1988 and puts
>about 500 minutes/month on mine. I've had 7 phones in that time, and
>they all just suck.
>
>Give me a land-line any day.
>
>One thing that has helped quite a bit for telemarketing is to get
>Caller-ID-blocked-rejection service: if they don't give up their
>Caller-ID, they don't get through. Your privacy-freak friends will take
>a while to get used to dialing the per-call-unblock each time they call
>you, but eventually you'll get quite a bit fewer phone calls.
>
>/jordan

I hate using phones of any kind and find them a necessary evil. Several times my cell phone has cut me off in the middle of conversations I didn't want to be having anyway. Hooray for cell phones.

Cliff -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030805/51a4cd9d/attachment.htm>