[lbo-talk] Women better managers

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Aug 6 00:32:37 PDT 2003

Mike quotes:

"The answer suggested by a comprehensive meta-analysis published in the current Psychological Bulletin (Vol. 129, No. 3) might surprise you. On average, women in management positions are somewhat better leaders than men in equivalent positions, according to the study."

Anecdotally, the best woman manager I ever had was a woman; the worst was also a woman. Overall, I have found that the reserach you quote is quite true for first line managers (just above grunts); women tend to be better: more humane, more flexible, more supportive, more socially and operationally intelligent. Unfortunately, in my experience, once you get above that level I have never observed a difference. Once they break through the glass ceiling, they behave just like men and support the same system wholeheartedly.

Joanna