[lbo-talk] mobile phones and telemarketers [was: backlash?]

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Wed Aug 6 05:24:56 PDT 2003

At 03:13 PM 8/5/03 -0700, Michael Perelman scribbled:

>connecting to the Internet. Ability to use a speaker phone? Ability
>for
>two people in the house to be on the phone at once?

My clients require landline for security reasons.

I had to interview an infamous phone hacker a couple of years ago. As part of his probation, he'd been denied the use of a cell phone but was allowed to have one when he father was ill with cancer. For whatever reason, he enjoyed my conversation and would routinely call me to shoot the shit and get relationship advice. He'd call from the craziest places. The best was when he called while standing in line at Starbucks but he put me on hold so he could drain the dragon.

I'm shocked to hear that at least one other person has resisted mobile phones. I sure wished I'd had one the day my clutch fell out in the middle of BumFuck and I had to deal with Smokey and Bubba Highway Patrol. But other than that one time, I've resisted, deathly afraid I'll find myself walking into the bookstore talking on a phone, spending my entire grocery trip talking on the phone, or blabbing away while I try to eat a bowl of oatmeal in my Dick'n'Box on Four Wheels (as I saw this a.m. while I took my son to school).

kelley