[lbo-talk] Free trade costs thousands of jobs...

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 07:34:58 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grant Lee" <grantlee at iinet.net.au>

> Apart from the other downsides of protectionism, some of the most
striking
> examples of capitalist economic development --- e.g. Switzerland,
Belgium,
> Hong Kong and Singapore --- have occurred under export-oriented, minimal
> tariff regimes. Australia has experienced average annual growth in the
> region of 3% for about 10 years, now, after abandoning a high tariff
regime
> in the 1980s.
>
> In fact, given the diminutive internal markets in such cases, (relative)
> "free trade" was the only kind of policy framework which was likely to
> result in successful capitalist development.

How about those nineteenth century lovers of free trade, the USA?

Also, in the nineteenth century the Swiss effectively had no patent regime and the Economist magazine was against patents and other forms of intellectual property vis a vis international trade.

There's a hell of alot more to free trade than tariff minimization: