[lbo-talk] mobile phones

npchilds at connect.ab.ca npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Wed Aug 6 08:06:51 PDT 2003

>>The sound quality is better, and you don't put yourself at risk of a
>>brain tumor.

>>My experience is that the sound quality is OK, as long as you are in an
>>area with good reception. About brain tumors, I haven't kept up with the
>>latest research, but I don't think there is any sound evidence of a risk
>>yet.

I've heard that the direction of causation with cell phones might be reversed; not cell phone use causing brain tumors, but brain tumors causing cell phone use.

Having weighed in as a smart arse, I've had one for several years, at $34/month (Canuck buck$) it's cheaper than a baby sitter for two young adolescents, it's cheap piece of mind too, I don't let my wife go into work at the Community Health Center on evenings and weekends without it, and as noted elsewhere, the range of cool places you can call from and say to people 'Guess where I am?' is always growing. My best so far is from the top of a mountain in the Alberta Rockies to someone in Nova Scotia.

Here in the great white north digital lines are the norm now and I've found sound quality varies with the quality of the digital network, some are crystal clear with strong connections, others verge on voices having a Robbie the Robot in static soup effects.

PC