[lbo-talk] Free trade costs thousands of jobs... none other than conservative Phyllis Schlafly...

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Aug 6 10:51:57 PDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:54:51 -0700 "Eubulides" <paraconsistent at comcast.net> writes:

> [...]

It should be noted that while in general Marx thought that free trade progressive in the sense that in general it promoted the development of the forces of production and the development of the proletariat as a class, he recognized instances where protectionism could be progressive. Thus, he argued that the achievement of independence by Ireland was necessary if that country was to industrialize and that this would require the establishment of protective tariffs against British goods together with agrarian revolution.

See http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867/letters/67_11_30.htm

for Marx's letter to Engels on this and related issues.

Jim F.