[lbo-talk] Caldwell on Dean

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Aug 6 13:01:37 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com> Chris Caldwell
>Once you hit $100,000, the Democrats really begin
>to clean up. They hold a fundraising advantage that widens rapidly as the
>numbers get more stratospheric. In contributions of over $1 million, they
>outraise Republicans by 92 percent to 8 percent.
>Dean may have risen by attracting a base of fundraisers who are the same
>people as those the party claims, increasingly implausibly, to speak for.

This description is just mindless by Caldwell. Many of those $1 million checks represent hundreds of thousands of union members paying a few bucks each into union political warchests. On the other hand, "small" $250 checks come overwhelmingly from the upper middle class and even wealthy.

The biggest mental breakdown in discussions of campaign finance is not considering HOW MANY PEOPLE lay behind larger checks-- I wish there was a rating on each contribution of dollars per donar involved to really stack them up against each other.

== Nathan