[lbo-talk] Debate Resumes on the Safety of Depression's Wonder Drugs

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 7 07:22:38 PDT 2003

mike larkin wrote:

> There may be a risk of suicide among children, but my
> guess is that untold more people have been saved from
> suicide and substance abuse by the SSRI's. Me, for
> example.

Essentially correct. _All_ medications (for anything, 'physical' or mental) have dangers for their users, and serious or lethal consequences for some. I suspect that sooner or later much better treatment for depression (and other mental illnesses) than the current meds and current therapy will develop, but even the present (barbaric from the perspective of the future) treatments have helped and will help millions. (All capitalist medical care is a racket of sorts -- but that is no reason not to get a shot of anti-biotic for bronchitis, or have a broken wrist attended to by a surgeon.)

In respect to suicide. Very few people commit suicide in the depths of depression -- not enough energy to do anything. Suicide occurs in the early stages of recovery from a seige. That must account for some proportion of the suicides which (post hoc propter hoc) apparently result from taking SSRIs.

> Although a much better cocktail is neurontin plus
> effexor plus lamictal plus seroquel. I'm flying on
> this shit right now.

:-) Your last sentence will lend credence to those who think ADs are
simple mind-benders. But if one has been in a deep depression, just feeling ordinary is a real high for a week or two (whether the recovery is due to meds or to the 'natural' on/off rhythm of depression).

Incidentally, the phrase "wonder drugs" is one that we could do without. It distorts perception of both the treatment and the illness.

Carrol