[lbo-talk] God Is A Republican

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Aug 8 05:55:00 PDT 2003

-
> From that link:

"I have only one firm belief about the American political system, and that is this: God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat.

God is an elderly or, at any rate, middle-aged mate, a stern fellow, patriarchal rather than paternal and a great believer in rules and regulations. He holds men strictly accountable for their actions."

WS: The last statement is inaccurate. The God-Republican holding men strictly accountable for their action is only for the poor. For the rich and powerful - God is a Santa Claus - benign and benevolent, handing out generous gifts.

As I said time and again, the US is market capitalism for the poor and welfare state for the rich.

Wojtek