[lbo-talk] Penile Invasions (was: Dull)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 06:52:49 PDT 2003

--- Kelley <the the ideas that women are supposed to provide
> men with sex,
> presumably because they pay for it in some way (in
> the form of a higher
> income, social status, etc.), is embedded in wider
> normative patterns.
> that is, while most people would find it repugnant
> to think that a man
> would feel it his right to demand sex against a
> woman's will, you will
> find a lot more people perfectly fine with the idea
> that a man can go
> elsewhere for sex if he isn't getting it from his
> wife.

I don't understand how this idea is supposed to be patriarchical unless it is not reciprocal, i.e., unless the idea is that a woman may not also go elsewhere if she isn't getting (ebough) sex from her husband,m or theright sort. Are you saying that if you don't get enough sex from your spouse, you should either forego it or get a divorce, regardless of the other costs, for example to the kids, and indeed the benefits of the relationship, which need not all be sexual? That sounds very rigid and Puritanical to me, bot at all like you, Kells. jks