[lbo-talk] Debate Resumes on the Safety of Depression's WonderDrugs

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Fri Aug 8 10:26:08 PDT 2003

Actually, postpartum depression CAN recur after subsequent pregnancies. Remember the woman in TX who had a fifth kid after having SEVERE post-partum depression with the fourth and being advised NOT to have another kid. Of course she also had a controlling husband and other relatives who did not believe in ANY kind of psychiatric intervention. Chemicals would not have fixed any of that, though the placebo might at least have carried the impliction that someone else cared about her suffering.

And yes drumming, tapping one's nails and other kinds of tics can be considered obsessive compulsive disorders and ARE sometimes treated with anti-depressants. I have no info about effectiveness rates, but I know this is NOT all pharma co hype.

DoreneC