[lbo-talk] Debate Resumes on the Safety of Depression's Wonder Drugs

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 11:11:19 PDT 2003

But of course, many of the so-called "placebo effect" studies are themselves open to withering criticism, and have been subjected to such. I saw one co-authored by a UConn professor where the controls were just laughable. So the evidence there is far from conclusive.

Psychologists hyping these studies have a professional interest in downplaying the effectiveness of psychiatric drugs. They are just as biased as the pharmas and should more forthcoming about their prejudices.

We are only in the beginning stages of understanding so-called mental illness. Therapy, as Peter Kramer says in Listening to Prozac, is as much a technology as medication and should be accorded equal respect.

In my case, it was only the combination of rigorous therapy and medication that saved my life. I was fiercely resistant to meds at the beginning and so had no "positive expectations" for them. And my treatment was only possible because I had loving relatives willing to pay for it even though I'd long given them every reason not to.