[lbo-talk] Penile Invasions (was: Dull)

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Aug 8 22:17:55 PDT 2003

Justin writes:
>Yes, but then it's still not the idea that anyone may
>go where he or she likes for sex, other things being
>equal, that is objectionable, but the underlying
>imbalance of gender power.

Well, them's the conditions we live under.

>Jenny's explanation may go
>to why many women feel strongly about their husbands
>or boiyfriends cheating, though.

I'd say that's mostly fear of getting dumped.

>Men, presumably,
>often feel strongly because of jealously or wounded
>possessiveness. However, I don't think our objections
>to gender inequities provide us witha reason to
>endorse traditional repressive sexual moralities.

Right. But a new code doesn't mean no code. Guys wandering essentially cause they can, and declining to make a commitment or put work into a relationship, can conveniently show how they're just smashing repressive moralism, heck, it's a revolutionary duty! Whatever, bud. Mind if I call your wife/girlfriend and make sure it's OK with her?

>There are other objections to adultery, but the idea
>that traditional moralities give women a weapon in the
>struggle against their husbands is not a strong one.

I much favor female solidarity as a weapon in these cases.

"Traditional morality" hasn't been...

"...nothing is more ridiculous than the virtuous indignation of our bourgeois at the community of women which, they pretend, is to be openly and officially established by the Communists. The Communists have no need to introduce free love; it has existed almost from time immemorial.

"Our bourgeois, not content with having wives and daughters of their proletarians at their disposal, not to speak of common prostitutes, take the greatest pleasure in seducing each other's wives.

"Bourgeois marriage is, in reality, a system of wives in common and thus, at the most, what the Communists might possibly be reproached with is that they desire to introduce, in substitution for a hypocritically concealed, an openly legalized system of free love. For the rest, it is self-evident that the abol ition of the present system of production must bring with it the abolition of free love springing from that system, i.e., of prostitution both public and private."

Jenny Brown