[lbo-talk] Patriotism is Relative, Not Absolute

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 9 10:27:31 PDT 2003

http://www.phil.uga.edu/faculty/wolf/nussbaum1.htm Patriotism and Cosmopolitanism Martha Nussbaum

Patriotism and Cosmopolitanism Martha Nussbaum

When anyone asked him where he came from, he said, "I am a citizen of the world." Diogenes Laertius, Life of Diogenes the Cynic I <SNIP> http://www.ualberta.ca/~dcarmich/World%20Citizenship.htm World Citizenship: A Critique of Martha Nussbaum by Don Carmichael For Love of Country Debating the Limits of Patriotism by Martha Craven Nussbaum, Edited by Joshua Cohen Beacon Press Due/Published August 1996, 208 pages, paper

Cf. Preface to, "The True and Only Heaven, " by Christopher Lasch, where he lays out his ideological itinery from family who supported Henry Wallace in '48, to New Left historian, through 70's Frankfurt School neo-marxism, to his final pov, a culturally conservative, left populism hostile to economic and cultural elites [cf., "The Revolt of the Elites."], svalorizing lower middle class virtues of loyalty to neighborhood and family. -- Michael Pugliese