[lbo-talk] Who Eats Whom

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 9 18:02:13 PDT 2003

> Gray Davis! There was a time once when "lesser of
> two evils" actually
> meant something momentous, like the choice between
> starving to death
> on a lifeboat, or eating the first mate.

Generally the cabin boy. The first mate was likelier to each than to be eaten. See AWB Simpson, Cannibalism and the Common Law (U of C Press 1986, I think), discusising Regina v. Dudley & Stephens, a famous leading case in which Capt Dudley and First Mate Stephens ate the cabin boy, Richard Parker, after the ship (the Mingionette (sp?)) went down. A wonderful if macabre book, beautiful writen, with a lot more social history than law. I heartily, as it were, recommend it as an entertaining read. I'm surprised Alex doesn't know it. jks