[lbo-talk] Patriotism is Relative, Not Absolute

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 9 21:21:21 PDT 2003

> I can't make head or tail out of the above exchange.
> Is someone "patriotic
> above jazz?"

Me. I'm patriotic about jazz. It's a distinctively AMerican contribution to world music. I was talking to ChuckO and Joanna about things that were specially American that as an American I identify as ours with pride -- without saying that makes them, or America, better than countries with different traditions.

Where do "feudalistic ideals" fit in
> with preferring klezmer
> music over Indian ragas? Or was the above written by
> Netbots, or people
> who've had stroke-induced aphasias?

Far as I can make out, Kelly think that nonrelativism about political morality, thinking that some traditions are better than, or constitute progress ocer others, is relevant to patriotism. I think the idae is that while I reject the idea that American culture and traditions are better than those of others people just because they are American, an idea that I was accused of advocating by ChuckO, I nonetheless accept that certain universal values are better than others -- freedom is better than slavery, liberalism than repression. Thsi is true, although the connection eludes me somewhat. jks