[lbo-talk] In search of the 50,000-word enemy

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 08:38:06 PDT 2003

Elongate Thy Foe In search of the 50,000-word enemy.

by Matt Taibbi, NYPress

I’ve decided to apply for a civilian job at the Pentagon. I want to be the guy that comes up with each day’s description of the counterinsurgent Iraqi enemy for press releases.

Whoever they have now is good, no question about it. I’ve been a fan of his work since the first week of May. Under his tutelage, the average length in print of the described Iraqi enemy has jumped from about four or five words in May ("pro-Saddam Baath Party holdouts"), to about 10 to 15 words in June ("Forces loyal to the regime of the deposed dictator Saddam Hussein"), to the current 20 to 25 words (see below).

I believe I can do better. I am certain that, put in charge of the program, I can get the description up to 200 words by September, and more than 1000 by the New Year. In fact, I can envision a time when the capsule description of the Iraqi enemy can be stretched to the length of a Henry James novel. Once we do that, the might of the United States can no longer be questioned.

[...]

full at

http://www.nypress.com/16/28/news&columns/cage.cfm