[lbo-talk] Servant culture

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 12 07:04:40 PDT 2003

At 8:41 AM -0500 8/12/03, C. G. Estabrook posted:

At 8:41 AM -0500 8/12/03, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>She told the Edinburgh Book Festival that many of the benefits feminism
>had brought to middle-class women in the west had been paid for by the
>enslavement of poor migrant women.

Just what is the proportion of American families who are rich enough to hire cleaners and _nannies_? More importantly, what does the topic have to do with feminism? I would have thought that families who could hire cleaners and nannies did so before the emergence of feminism and will continue to do so in a class society, regardless of whether or not a feminist movement exists. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>