[lbo-talk] Servant culture

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 12 10:43:48 PDT 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>You mean Barbara Bergmann employs cleaners, nannies, and other
>servants or that she has statistical evidence that confirms that
>feminism caused a larger proportion of American families to hire
>cleaners, nannies, and other servants than before?

Bergmann proudly said she'd been using maids for 40 years. She's quite explicitly, and often amusingly, bourgeois and proud of it. She doesn't like it when feminists get too wrapped up in class. She actually criticized a piece in The Nation that advocated a federally funded windmill program to generate clean power as being a transparent ploy to get the votes of white male unionized sheetmetal workers. Several femecon'ers denounced me for having brought up Ehrenreich's argument (and it is an argument, despite your parenthetical sneer):

>I'm interested in finding out if Ehrenreich or anyone else can
>provide evidence to support her argument (if it can be called an
>"argument").

My crime was citing a feminist to criticize feminism.

Doug