[lbo-talk] Servant culture

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 12 11:45:36 PDT 2003

At 10:54 AM -0700 8/12/03, Dwayne Monroe wrote:
>My mother made a point of teaching me, starting at about age 8, to
>cook for and clean after myself.

Presumably, before you turned eight, your mother or her partner or both cooked for you, cleaned after you, etc. Would she have been a bad person, if she had hired the services of others to do them (e.g., buying prepared and semi-prepared meals, hiring baby sitters, sending you to a kindergarten and then to a school, etc.), instead of doing them herself?

And what should your current partner do if you find yourself disabled and can't cook for and clean after yourself?

What should your family do once you become too old to cook for and clean after yourself? -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>