[lbo-talk] Servant culture

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 21:02:02 PDT 2003

--- The domestic
> labor debate used
> to be important in feminism and it isn't anymore.
> Much of its initial
> radicalism was bourgeoisified, giving us Barbara
> Bergmann, Ehrenreich
> would like feminists to think and talk again about
> domestic labor.
> Why's that so icky?

Is that true, that the debate isn't important any more? I have a dozen books on my shelves written in the last dozen years that deal with it, e.g. by Nancy Folbre and others. Been a while since I looked at them. Maybe it's fallen off a bit, but debates come and go in cycles. Marxism has been totally catatonic and paralyzed for a decade. It may be wholly brain dead. Maybe it will revive asa theory, maybe not. Feminism is in much better shape. jks