[lbo-talk] service coops (was Servant culture)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 13 07:38:57 PDT 2003

> maybe you could actually quote her extensive rants?

Checking if I read the assigned material?

See, for example, the chapter on domestic service where she spends several pages ranting about the public hair of her employers found in bathtubs, and their taste in home decoration. If you want page refs, I may send my RA to the library to get them, provided she has nothing else to do.

Ehrenreich may spill a lot of ink on yuppie life styles, but surprisingly she does not hint a service work coop as a solution to service worker exploitation, albeit she does mention unionization of Wal Mart (last chapter of _Nickel and Dimed_). That was one of the main things that struck me about _Nicked and Dimed_ until I realized that unionization of Wal Mart affects mainly the bottom line of the Wal Mart Corporation, but unionization of domestic service workers does affect the pocket books of liberal professionals who also happen to be the most likely readers of Ehrenreich's book.

Wojtek