[lbo-talk] Doomed

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Aug 13 08:03:28 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 04:13 AM, Chris Doss wrote:

>> >From: Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org>
>>
> 4) A system in which employment vs. unemployment
> becomes an irrelevant issue -- the most radical solution, but no society
> (after Marx/Engels' "primitive communism") has been able to achieve it
> yet, as far as I know.
>
> Urgh... ugh... would like to point out that the Soviet Union did. It
> was illegal to be unemployed for more than three months in the USSR. Is
> memory that short?

I never did understand that system. Was it because, the government being the "only" employer, being unemployed meant defying the government? In any case, that wasn't the sort of system I was thinking of at all. I was thinking more along the lines of "communism" in the classical Marxist sense, which (unless I'm mistaken) the USSR never claimed they had reached.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _______________________________ "For the world is not to be narrowed till it will go into the understanding (which has been done hitherto), but the understanding is to be expanded and opened until it can take in the image of the world." -- Francis Bacon