[lbo-talk] Give Up

R rhisiart at charter.net
Wed Aug 13 13:36:39 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----

From: andie nachgeborenen

To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 10:38 AM

Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Give Up

I view the prohibition on unlicensed practice of law

as a consumer protection statute. Abolishing it

wouldn't affect me in the least. The kindof practice I

have will feel no pressure whatsoever from nonlawyer

practitioners.

Youa re arrogant, and foolsih,

this language is just a sample of what's so endearing about this guy. how dare anyone disagree with this self-serving, self-centered, pompous know-it-all?

because you think that

any literate person can do law, but it's not so. This

has nothing to dow ith arcnae rituals or Latinm either

of which have any relevance to US law, and I dount to

the law of Australis. It's rather because legal

analysis is quite difficult. It's not like mowing your

own vs hiring someone to do it. it's more like

building your own bridge or airplane vs using one

designeda nd built by professionals.

There are one course simple legal activities that do

not require an attorney's skills: most contracts are

like this, simple license applications, drawing up

form for your average business(I'd guess -- though I

am not a transactional lawyer). An uncontested divorce

with no property or kids involved. A property tax

appeal. For many of thesea ctivities you don't need a

lawyer, and I'd agree for many of the other you

shouldn't have to have one. For litigation, it's a

different story.

Individuals can represent themselves in court in

almost any sort of litigation in the US. Here too

corporations cannot. That is a very old rule, goes

back at least 200 years. One might debate its merits,

but it's not going away. I have rarely, however, seen

a case where an individual acting pro se did anywhere

near as well as even a bad lawyer, of which there are

many.

jks

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com